never forget that for voldemort’s name to rearrange to “je suis voldemort” in the french translations, they had to make his middle name ‘Elvis’
I CANT HANDLE THIS
are you telling me the french word for wand is ‘la baguette magique’
Women often have to be the ones to make guests welcome. Make and bring the food, drinks. Make conversation. Make sure any kids are occupied. Clean up once guests leave. Those things are, in my opinion, generally good things to do, but it’s infuriating that women are expected to do that labor. My mother is always the one that’s forced to do it. It’s fucked up.
Yes, I’m sure lots of people have questions about it, so let me try and answer them for you.
What we call white feminism on tumblr is probably more accurately called “Colorblind Feminism” in the academic world. Basically, it isn’t ” the feminism that white people practice” but rather “A form of ineffective feminism, most commonly practiced by white feminists, that seeks to ignore, downplay, or critically overlook the intersections of race and gender in their activism and theories.”
What that means is, if you are practicing White Feminism, you tend to entirely missed or overlook the different experiences of people of color, especially women of color. For example, in White Feminism, you might find yourself disproportionately criticizing the work of black musicians and artists for sexism, while overlooking, ignoring, or even excusing the racism and cultural appropriation of white artists. White Feminism tends to forget that just because two groups or both oppressed, that doesn’t mean that they can’t oppress one another, so if you’re going to call out the sexism of a MoC for example, you need to be equally aware of the racism perpetuated by white women. That’s just one example though, so let me lest some of the things that are problematic about the practice of a Colorblind Feminism:
- Using jokes about Misandry to Call for the death of Men of Color. This is not equal thing to do because a white woman calling for the death of a MoC not something new, and in fact is a form of violence used against men of color for generations, especially under imperialism.
- Disproportionately hounding and criticizing women of color for sexism or perceived misogyny while excusing or overlooking the racism of white artists. For example, many White Feminists took issue with Beyonce over her song “Bow Down” and yet did not particularly raise any fuss over Lily Allen or Marina and the Diamonds or Amanda Palmer (Or Lena Dunham if you’re talking about TV)
- Attacking or disproportionately criticizing women of color for being angry or upset. It’s hard to give exact examples of this, since it’s often a form of microagression, but just ask yourself: “Have I ever told a WoC to ‘Calm down, it’s not a big deal!’?” “Have I tried to dismiss, ignore, or give a handwave to a WoC’s complaints about feminist movements lately?” “Have I called out a WoC for saying ‘Bitch’ even though I have not called out a white blogger for cultural appropriation?”
- Feeling as if you are being personally attacked when PoC Feminists point out, call out, or complain about White Feminism, Whiteness, or white people in general. In most cases, they’re complaining about the mechanisms of oppression, whether you realize it or not. When a black woman complains about something like, white girls trying to twerk, they are complaining about cultural appropriation. Even if they laugh at white girls for trying to twerk and tell white girl jokes, that’s a coping mechanism to help deal with having parts of your culture stolen while you’re being mocked for it at the same time. It is not the same at all as a white person telling a “joke” about who crazy they think black girls’ names are. That’s not you coping with oppression. That’s you rubbing salt in wounds that have been open for generations.
- Along with that, if you feel like you need to correct someone if they say “Black Girls Rock” or “Desi girls are Awesome!” or something like that, by telling them that it should be “All Girls Rock, All girls kick ass” then you are overlooking and ignoring that group’s struggle against the very targeted ways in which they are insulted or belittled. So if you’ve seen one of those posts and then asked “Don’t you mean All girls rock?” then you might be missing the fact that these slogans are specific responses to intersectional oppression.
Now, if you’ve done one of these things, you may be inadvertently (or maybe consciously) contributing to racism and the oppression of PoC, especially women of color. There are also a lot more, and a lot of other varieties of ineffective feminism. Any sort of feminism that still upholds a form of oppression is ineffective, so there’s heterosexual feminism, cisgendered feminism, etc.
Now, just because you are white and a feminist doesn’t mean you’re practicing White Feminism! White Feminism is just bad feminism that upholds racism, whether intentionally or not. For most people, it’s because you’re still unaware of how intersectionality really works, and it’s okay not to get it all at first, but it is still harmful to practice a feminism that dismisses the way that racism stacks onto misogyny to create very specific forms of oppression used against WoC. It’s not like racism and sexism are just two different poisons that each hurt in the same way and to the same extent. When you get both of them in you, they react together to form a very specific, new kind of horribleness that sometimes requires a specific response, not a generalized, colorblind approach.